header

header

Monday, December 10, 2012

Still an Influence


We had an overnight visit with the grandchildren Saturday night. The plan was for some decorating, always more fun with children, and some cookie baking.

I enjoy having my grandchildren around, I consider it a blessing that they live close and that their parents make it a priority that they have the opportunity to spend time with us. We do not take it for granted.

The three younger children are very close in age, then there is a five year gap between child number two and child number one. It wasn't a real big deal when they were younger but now that the oldest is eleven, her interests are changing. While the little ones are playing she is often just reading a book.


The "light bulb" came on a couple of weeks ago...she still wants to come over to visit.....we still have influence....we need to make the most of the time we have been given....we needed to get her engaged in activities she would enjoy. My husband took the lead in this...he used her as an "apprentice" when he helped a friend fix a dryer, she was a great help to him and she loved helping. She has also shown an interest in using my camera....I was reluctant at first....not my camera... but then realized that it could be a great opportunity...this grandma is still learning.... I don't want to miss these chances to be that influence.




The weekend was a busy one, we decorated, we baked cookies and that evening we went out in the neighborhood to look at Christmas lights, this was one tired grandma by the end of the day but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

My prayer is that I will continue to see these opportunities....that I won't be so self focused that I miss them.

8 comments:

Debbie said...

Oh you definitely had my type of week-end! And your right. I too have an 11 year old granddaughter (she will be 12 this month) and 15 year old one too. And they are changing soo much. The type of conversations we have now go really deep sometimes. I am amazed they still want to listen to me and hang out etc. I too want to make the very most of every influence I might still have. Your pictures are wonderful btw. Glad you had a good time!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I, too, am blessed that my grands are close by and that I get plenty of opportunities to spend time with them. My grandson will be 11 in February ... and our relationship is (obviously) changing. He still listens to me and wants to spend time with me, for which I am SO thankful. I pray that I will never take our times together for granted.

myletterstoemily said...

i so miss making cookies with my little ones.
someday i will have a new batch . . . of little
ones.

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

I pray the Lord will bless me with this opportunity also...and my prayer is just what you said, that their parents will make it a priority and that I will have influence, while also learning from them

precious...and priceless...you are blessed

Always Nesting said...

My two grands are too small (other two still waiting to be born) to do much in the kitchen but this is filed under "to do."

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

You made some great memories with those four sweethearts. It is such a joy spending time with grandchildren :)

Creations By Cindy said...

How sweet and precious! I love these special times and you are making wonderful memories! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Camille said...

PRECIOUS post my friend!! But, your face...I want to see your lovely face!! :) How wonderful that you are making these memories with your grands Maryann...wonderful!! They will not forget, and yes, these days are precious! What a blessing you are to them. :)

Merry Christmas to you!!
Love,
Camille