header

header

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Reflections On 2014

This past year was one of changes for us, lots of them. A friend who was also going through some changes this year shared this quote with me from Corrie ten Boom

"Hold everything in your hands lightly, otherwise it hurts when God pries your fingers open"

I have felt like the Lord has been prying my fingers one by one off of many of the things I've held onto tightly the last several months. Things like people, traditions, relationships, goals, different "things" and even a season of life.

There have been some painful moments, as those fingers have been pried open, but I'm not holding on as tightly to some of those things anymore, as I used to, and perhaps one day I will be able to hold all things with open hands. (and keep them open) It's a process for me, I tend to try to grab back things I have previously let go, but the sweet spirit of the Lord always gently reminds me to once again, open my hands and trust in him. He wants us to cling to him instead of the other things we hold so tightly.

It has been a year of challenges and disappointments but also one with opportunities, lots of opportunities. And lest I end this on a negative note, despite our difficult days, God has richly blessed us this year, we have much to be thankful for and are focusing on that today.

Show me your ways, Lord, teach me your paths. Guide me in truth and teach me, for you God are my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.. Psalm 25:4


7 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

May 2015 bring you blessings and growth in God's love and tender mercies.

Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I, too, am learning that lesson ... I suspect that it will be a work in progress for me until the day I meet the Lord. ;-)

Debbie said...

Been working on that lesson for a few years now and like you I can only report that while some things have gotten easier, and some I seem to have FINALLY let completely go of, there are those "other" things I keep picking up. Good thing we have a God who understands and is patient and loving./ Wishing you a very happy new year!

Camille said...

You bless my heart...thank you for being willing. Hugs to you! And, prayers. XO

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Well, I'm pretty sure we can all relate to the "letting go of" in some form or fashion. And, like others, I let go of some things and then seem to pick up something else. But, I have made some really big progress in this area the past few years. I guess I could be getting wiser with age. :o)) Blessings to you in 2015!

living from glory to glory said...

Hello, And Happy New Year!
I think that quote is a powerful one!
I think this last year had some real hard times for us also! It has been a very cold winter so far and I am learning to stay steady in all things!
God Bless You!
Hugs, Roxy

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Oh, yes, I am familiar with that quote too. Constantly aware of the things I hold so tightly to. I also love the verse you shared. So perfect as we head into a new year. Blessings to you, dear blogging friend! Happy New Year wishes!