header

header

Friday, November 18, 2011

Don't Miss It


My family and friends all know Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday of the year. I enjoy everything about Thanksgiving, the planning, the preparations, the smells, the house that is full of noise and activity and of course the food.

Thanksgiving kind of snuck up on me this year, I think I just realized about a week ago that I needed to get with the program. It's not like I haven't been reading all the wonderful thankful posts for the last two weeks, but somehow I thought I had more time.

This is my favorite holiday of the year, but I have been so preoccupied with other things that I almost missed the simple pleasures of preparing for the holiday that I enjoy so much. The Lord showed me that I have been spending so much time in the worries of tomorrow that I was forgetting to live today. I still have a week, I didn't miss out, still lots of simple pleasures to enjoy in preparation for next week.

One other note, I love all your comments, they are so encouraging and appreciated. Many times a comment will be just what I need to hear. The Lord used a particular comment the other day to show me my heart, (and todays blog post resulted) thankful to that friend who was willing to share what was on her heart, God used it to change mine. I am thankful for all of you, those I know and those I don't (but I feel like I do) what a blessing you all are.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus  Philippians 4:6-7

8 comments:

Debbie said...

Good morning! This is my favorite holiday too. I love it for many of the same reasons you do. I am needing to quiet my mind so as I am behind preparing for it all. Guess I have added on the other party the same week-end and it is a bit much. But I know if I just rest in Him, I will get through. Have a wonderful week-end! HUGS

NanaNor's said...

Hi there, Wonderful post; I must admit I'm getting anxious for the Christmas season to begin. I love how the Lord uses others in blogland to share His heart with us.
Have a blessed weekend preparing.
Hugs, Noreen

Petra said...

I just got my wake-up call today! We have a week. Let us drink it in deeply and thankfully and lovingly, and then we'll have a big feast, praising the Lord for all His many benefits! Hugs!

Sandy said...

I love Thanksgiving and Christmas and try to combine them by putting up our tree the day after Thanksgiving. We are usually eating our leftover turkey sandwiches as we listen to carols and decorate the tree. Fun! If we take everything slowly and just keep our hearts fixed on Him we won't get too stressed. At least that usually works!
Hugs~

Denise said...

May you be surrounded by His love.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I love Thanksgiving, too, but it sure snuck up on me this year, too. I've been so busy that I haven't slowed down to just enjoy the time, the anticipation, the preparation for Thanksgiving. Thanks for the reminder.

Debbie said...

It's my very favorite holiday too, and like you I can get so preoccupied this time of year with stuff and bother and worry and distraction and...

Anyway, I don't want to miss it either!

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Amen...and joining you in living in today...not looking back over my shoulder or too far ahead, but today!

Happy Thanksgiving...hugs and prayers being sent your way

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!