header

header

Monday, May 11, 2015

Thoughts on Mother's Day

Before you all get the wrong idea about what I am to write, let me assure you, I had a very nice Mother's Day. I heard from the one's that I love, I was treated to an afternoon at the Gardens and served a scrumptious meal of Soft Shell Crab by my husband. (complete with a small fire on the stove top, caused by splattering oil. I had to giggle a bit over the fire, it really was quite small, my husband is very competent in the kitchen, so this kind of thing just doesn't happen) In the end everything was delicious and he did an amazing job cleaning up the mess.

What came to mind yesterday morning when I was thinking about Mother's day was how difficult a day it was going to be for a lot of women.  I thought of those that wanted to be moms but couldn't. The moms with estranged children, or prodigals or those that have lost a child. What about those that have lost a mom or who's mom isn't like the one in the Hallmark commercial. My heart was heavy with the thought of it.

I am not anti Mother's Day, being a mom is one of the hardest jobs in the world, having a day to honor them is a good thing. What we need though is to be aware of is the pain that this day may magnify for so many others. (I know I'm a little late on this one) I know you know who these ladies are in your life, pray with them, encourage them, point them to the Savior who sticks closer than a brother.  Remind them of the truth of the Word. Be there for them, let the Lord direct you in how you can best serve and minister to them.

                          Photo below taken of my mom and I almost thirty years ago


6 comments:

Creations By Cindy said...

Great post. Yesterday was our families first Mother's Day without my precious motherinlove whom I loved as much as I have ever loved anyone. And it was her birthday! God was so good to us all as we shared so much laughter yesterday talking about her and the things she would do or say. My mom has dementia so bad that some days she cannot remember 15 minutes after I leave her that I was there to visit her. We surely take our health for granite too. My Mother's Day was awesome as my three daughters and grandbabies, I felt went beyond what was truly expected and though they love me very much I think it was mainly because it was a day that was somewhat difficult for our family. So many women out there that I truly did think about as they did not have their mama to celebrate with. Hugs to you sweet lady and so glad that you enjoyed your special day. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Excellent reminder. A friend posted that she cannot attend church on Mother's Day after a member who was handing out flowers handed my friend one, only to take it back while saying "what was I thinking ... you're not a mom". How heartbreaking.

Speaking of soft shell crab, that's what I'm intending to have for dinner tonight. Yum!

Nadine said...

Our Pastor talked about that yesterday too. It can be a very hard day for some women.
So glad you had a Happy Mother's Day!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a thought provoking post. My mother was not even close to being a Hallmark mother. I was the firstborn and she expected me to be the mother to my two sisters. I always wanted a mother's love, still do, but alas.

Because of a dysfunctional family on my part, hubby being the black sheep of his family and things hubby and I were going through, we chose not to have children. Our love for each other was very important and drew us closer together and I am happy for the 43 years we had together.

I was one of those who did not want to go to church yesterday for all of the hula baloo they put on this day at church. But not this church that I am going to. It was such a relief. I'm sure I wasn't the only one relieved. There are so many who can't have children, or who have lost them for one reason or another. Plus there are those who did not have loving mothers like myself and you just can't say all of those gushy things that aren't true. I did send my Mom an email Mother's day greeting, wishing her God's love and peace.

How awful for the one who was handed a flower and then had it taken back because she wasn't really a mother. That is heartbreaking and so unkind.

I'm glad you had a lovely mother's day. Thank you for thinking of those less fortunate.

Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady

Camille said...

Beautiful thoughts, my friend. You are a blessing. Hugs! Camille

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Very true thoughts and we need to always be mindful of this. Blessings to you!