header

header

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Valentines and Birthdays

We had a real treat this past Valentines Day, we got to spend the day with the "Girlies" Aren't the tutu's adorable, their Aunt made them from netting that she slip knotted over ribbon, the two ends of the ribbon tie together around the waist and voila...instant tutu. I was asked if I could please take photos, which you know I was only too happy to do.


Then Saturday as  I was finishing getting dressed my bathroom door popped open and I heard a little voice say " I'm back" it was Little Red. I wasn't too surprised, the plan was for them to come over for the day with their brother while the guys went to a men's breakfast at church and their mom and my oldest grand daughter went to a cheerleading competition. It was a busy and full day, ending with a family dinner and birthday celebration for my husband. By the end of the day I was tired but in a good kind of way

Husband didn't have a special request for any particular cake so I made a Chocolate Chip Cappuccino Coffee Cake, it' not the prettiest...had trouble getting it out of the pan, but it was delicious. ( I had to have a tiny piece even though it's not dairy free) I have included the recipe which is from the Cake Doctors Returns, one of my favorite cookbooks.


Chocolate Chip Cappuccino Coffee Cake

For the chocolate chip streusel
1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup finely chopped pecans
1/2 cup miniature chocolate chips
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon all purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tablespoons melted butter

For the cake
Vegetable oil pan for misting the pan
flour for dusting the pan
1 package plain vanilla cake mix
1 package vanilla instant pudding
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup strong brewed coffee or water
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

For the topping
1 tablespoon confectioner sugar
1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder

1. Place rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350
2. Make the streusel: place the brown sugar, pecans, chocolate chips, flour, cinnamon, 2 tsps cocoa powder, and the melted butter in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine. Set The streusel aside.
3. Lightly mist a 12 cup Bundt pan with vegetable oil spray, then dust with flour. Shake out excess flour and set pan aside.
4. Place the cake mix, pudding mix sour cream, coffee or water, eggs and vanilla in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer on low until ingredients just come together, about 30 seconds. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat the batter is thick and smooth. 1 1/2 minutes longer, scraping down the side of the bowl again if needed. Pour 2/3 of the batter into prepared Bundt pan and sprinkle half of the streusel mixture on top of the batter. Pour remaining third of the batter on top of the streusel and using a rubber spatula spread the batter to reach the side of the pan. Sprinkle the remaining streusel on top. Place in the oven.
5. Bake the cake until the top springs back when lightly pressed with finger 45-50 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool 10-15 minutes. Run a long sharp knife around the edge of the cake, shake the pan gently, and invert the cake onto a serving plate, so that the streusel stays on the bottom of the cake. Let the cake cool completely 25-30 minutes longer.
6. Make the topping. Place the confectioners sugar and 1 tsp cocoa powder in a small bowl and stir to combine. Sift the mixture on top of the cake, then slice and serve.

Hope you try it, you won't be sorry.

9 comments:

Debbie said...

Oh the tutu's are just darling! I do love a tutu on a little girl. Yep, busy day but sounds good. Cake looks yummy! Hope your week is going well.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Your cake sounds delicious. And those little girls are beyond beautiful. So much fun I'm sure :)

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Cute tutu's for sure and a most delicious looking cake. I love the Cake Doctor cook books. Blessings!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Gorgeous pictures of the "girlies" in their tutus! Adorable!

That cake looks yummy! I love bundt cakes! I just replaced my old bundt pan with a new one ... I think I've discovered the cake to inaugurate that pan!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

The girls are so sweet in their tutus and that cake looks wonderful.

FlowerLady

Creations By Cindy said...

Awe... the girls are just beautiful and the cake does look yummy! Nothing like a good ole bundt cake! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

living from glory to glory said...

Hello Maryann, I want a tutu in my size LOL
They look so cute, sweet little girls. Just like chocolate they melt our hearts don't they.
Memories are such powerful things!
The cake sounds really delicious, I enjoy a hint of coffee taste and I love the smell of coffee brewing.
Blessings, Roxy

Cheryl said...

Sounds like a wonderful day...sweet girls in tutus, a family dinner, and then that yummy looking birthday cake! Blessings all around!

Camille said...

Those grandbabies of yours are too cute! What fun photos. :)