header

header

Monday, February 10, 2014

Winter Produce


Doesn't this look yummy? Husband and I had the opportunity to purchase a winter basket from the CSA we joined that starts this spring. Don't know what a CSA is, we didn't either, but found out it stands for Community Supported Agriculture. This is how our CSA works, we signed up with the farmer in December (the CSA had only so many openings) paid a fee up front for the season (this gives the farmer money to plant)  once the growing season starts, we'll get a 1/2 basket once a week with whatever happens to be in season. Our growing season is long so we will start getting produce in early May and it will continue through Thanksgiving. We decided to try this because we are trying to contain food costs and eat healthier. Our goal has been to eat less processed food.

We are really excited about getting our first spring basket and a little intimidated. My husband is most excited, he says seasonally is how he ate when he lived on his grandparents farm, I'm the one who is more intimidated, my vegetable repertoire isn't that good but it's improving since we have started eating more seasonally. I have learn to cook (and like) braised kale, collard greens and brussels sprouts. Carrot parsnip soup and roasted beets are two of my favorite new recipes. I think I'm up to the challenge, but could someone please tell me what in the world do you do with a turnip?

Hope you're keeping warm...I am ready for spring!


1 comment:

Creations By Cindy said...

Yes mam it does look yummy!
Hugs and blessings, Cindy