header

header

Monday, March 24, 2014

Monday's Memories


Cleaning out closets, and going through photos is what I have been doing the last couple of weeks.
I have boxes and boxes of old photos that never made it to a photo album or albums that were haphazardly put together, with photos that are yellowing and beginning to deteriorate. The sheer volume is overwhelming!

 What I am finding is that there are lots, of great photos but the ones worth keeping have gotten lost among the ones that are just so so. I have started sorting the photos and plan on getting rid of the photos that aren't all that good or have no particular memory associated with it. Sounds harsh, I know, but if I don't do it now, my kids will have to do it someday. (been there, done that) Today I am posting some favorites I have found

These photos are of my parents and my sons. My parents both celebrated their 84th birthday recently, so I thought it only fitting to include some photos of them. My parents have a total of seven grandchildren, five lived close by, two out of state (us) We did the best we could with visits, holiday trips and vacations together but I know it was hard having us out of state. I understand this more now that I am a grandparent. They also have five great grandchildren with another on the way (four of the great grandchildren out of state, our grandchildren)

My dad and my sons,  taken about twenty years ago

Mom and three of her grandsons on a Disney trip. My sons are on the right

This last photo was taken at my youngest son's graduation from high school, it was the last time my parents were able to visit us. Distance, jobs, responsibilities and limitations make it hard for us all to be together at the same time anymore.

This photo sort is going to take awhile, in fact I'm not sure its a job I will ever be able to finish, I mean after all I continue to take photos everyday, so constant purging is going to be needed.

And just in case you didn't see a spiritual correlation, there is one. The Lord continues to show me, in my own life, that there is clutter that needs to be cleaned out so things with eternal value can be found. I know, same theme as last post, but thats where the Lord has me right now.

7 comments:

Debbie said...

Seeing you working on this is a reminder to me how much I need to do the same thing. I have hundreds of old photos. In boxes, bags, albums etc....hundreds. It is VERY overwhelming. And most of them could be discarded honestly. Fading, of the same thing over and over or soo blurry you can't even tell what it is. Why on earth some of them were ever kept in the first place would be a good question. I think there is just something "scary" or seems wrong to throw photos away. But junk is what a lot of them are. I love the ones you have shown here. I know I have a few real keepers too. Someday soon I am going to get on this project. Good for you for tackling it. I will be watching to see how it goes. Enjoy your week!

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Oh, isn't it the truth! We can so easily clutter our life with so, so much unimportant stuff.

I went through photos about 5 years ago and culled over half of them and placed the others in yearly order in archival boxes. It was such a wonderful feeling.

Great post!!!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I love the correlation ... so true.

I have a huge box full of photos that need to be sorted and many of them will need to be purged. It's such a daunting task that I keep putting it off.

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

I am with you on this...boxes, and boxes, and I too need to purge them. Now I am adding grandsons pictures.

Sorting is bitter sweet, yet each time I do I see God's hand through my life and for that I am so grateful.

Great pictures...enjoy your sorting.

Creations By Cindy said...

Oh I love looking at old pictures. What fun and great memories! Thank you for sharing my friend. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Stephanie said...

Oh what sweet memories - thank you for sharing with us :) Hugs to you, sweet lady!

living from glory to glory said...

I think you will feel so much better, I did this about 5 yrs ago and it took me nearly a month!!
It was really emotional in some ways. I could not believe how fast those years went!
Blessings, Roxy