header

header

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

It's a Tradition


We have made this cranberry salad ever since we cooked our first Thanksgiving meal. The first time I had it was at my in-laws home...I loved it... got the recipe and it has been a holiday tradition ever since. I always make for Thanksgiving, and for Christmas. My husband and I love it.... my sons...not so much...guess this tradition is going to end here. Really makes you want to try this recipe now,  doesn't it. This salad is also great for potlucks, it has that freshness at a time when there seems to be so many sweets.

Cranberry Salad
1 large pkg jello (cherry, raspberry etc)
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups boiling water
2 cups crushed pineapple
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1 naval orange (no seeds)
1/2 cup celery
1 cup chopped fresh cranberries

 Add boiling water to the jello and sugar, stir  until spoon comes out clean with all gelatin and sugar dissolved, then add pineapple and cool. While this mixture is cooling, chop your celery and nuts (I use pecans) then grate an entire orange (rind and all) or you can put in a food processor, (easiest if you have one, I usually cut the orange into pieces before putting into processor) If you are processing you want the orange to have the consistency of the crushed pineapple. I also use the food processor for the cranberries but a coarser chop. Add all these ingredients to the cooled mixture and let set overnight


5 comments:

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Gosh that sounds yummy! It's not too late to add it to your Thanksgiving menu. ;-)

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Oh I have to laugh...my mother-in-law always served cranberries right out of the can, and sliced them where the ring of the cans were....my kids didn't like it, but we still put a can on the table each year to be reminded of the past. So I hear you on different taste, but also the memories they hold.

Farm Girl said...

It looks yummy. I hope you have a Wonderful Thanksgiving.
You know I can't even remember what I made in those days. I do remember our first Thanksgiving was stripping our cabinets in our first house. My Mom brought me a box with Thanksgiving in it. We ate dinner on the floor. :) It was wonderful.

Sandy said...

I remember my mother making this in the 70's. I always liked it but haven't thought of it in years.
I hope you and your family have a great Thanksgiving.

Petra said...

Thanking God for you and this recipe!

Wishing you a joy-filled day of giving thanks!