header

header

Monday, November 5, 2012

You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks


I have always wanted to REALLY learn how to use my camera. I was able to do the basics, take some pretty good photos in the preset modes, but I had never ventured into the land of manual settings. Couldn't seem to understand f/stops, ISO, shutter speed etc. The little book that came with the camera wasn't much help...too much information to digest.

My husband had been encouraging me to take a class for quite awhile but life kept getting in the way. This past summer my youngest son jumped on the band wagon and began nagging encouraging me to take a class as well. He found courses at the local colleges that he thought would be good for me to attend and even drafted a couple of emails for me to send to the professors to see if I could audit the class. Did I mention he was quite persistent? I am thankful for him, I needed that little "push"

Well it never worked out, the classes at the community college were all full except the one at 4:50pm, horrible time of day to travel here and you had to go through one of our many tunnels to get to that part of town. Second class was ruled out because of cost...any class I took had to be inexpensive.

All was not lost though, I found a basic photography class that I was able to take online and it fit my budget...cheap. It was six weeks long, with two lessons a week and included quiz's and assignments for each lesson. You had the opportunity to interact with other students, see their work and get feedback from them and your instructor on the work you submitted. Best of all....drum roll... I finally know how to use the settings on my camera....did I mention I have had this camera for over two and a half years now...better late than never.

A grace note in all of this...when I signed up to take this class I did not know I was getting ready to lose my job, it was nice to have something to focus on during those first couple of weeks. I choose to see the timing as God's kindness during my transition from work to home.


6 comments:

Debbie said...

I am happy for you and totally impressed. I would both LOVE a really nice camera, and then how to work it! ENJOY this new skill!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Yay for you! My camera is a point and shoot and works ok for me ... but to be honest, I'd love a really nice camera ... and then a class to learn how to really use it. ;-)

Petra said...

Nice! Love the photo too. I think it takes a special eye to take good pics... and the camera does the rest. But it does help to know how to use it, lol. Blessings!

Sandy said...

I hope you really enjoy the class and I will look forward to seeing and hearing what you learn. I'd love a really good camera.

Kathleen said...

That's quite an accomplishment.

I found myself out of a job prematurely a few years ago. At the time I was heartsick. I loved what I did, and could see myself working until I'm 90. But I've been retired for 2 years now, and I've actually grown to love it. I think having something meaningful to do or focus on is the secret.

Have fun with your new photography career :)

Laurie said...

I love how God works things out for our best in ways we do not expect, and it is wonderful for you to have been able to take this class! Your photo is proof that you take beautiful photos! I am also glad that you had minimal effects from the storm.

Blessings,
Laurie