header

header

Saturday, August 6, 2011

A Very Good Day

Lord Grey's Peach Preserves

5lb peaches
4 cups sugar
2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
5 Earl Grey tea bags, divided

Peel, halve, and pit peaches. Cut into 1/3" slices. Combine with sugar and juice in a large bowl. Let stand for 30 minutes. Transfer fruit mixture and 4 tea bags into a large heavy pot. Open the remaining tea bag, crumble leaves slightly; add to the pot. Bring to a boil, stirring gently, and cook 15-20 minutes. Test doneness by scooping a small spoonful onto a chilled plate and tilting plate. Preserves are ready if they don't run. Remove tea bags. Skim foam from the surface of the jam. Ladle jam into 2 clean, hot pint jars. (we used jelly jars, made 6) Wipe rims, seal, and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
Recipe from August 2011 bon appetit

Today was a very good day. Coffee with sweet husband this morning, we did a few yard sales, came home, he did some car repairs, I did some gardening, my young son made the preach preserves. When our son made the recipe it  came out a little redder than what the magazine picture showed, maybe the type of peach? regardless, it is delicious.( I scrapped all the extra off the pot after the jars were filled and had it on a piece of bread, too good to waste even a drop.) Son was thinking these preserves might be a good addition to his pantry in his new home, but he is leaving us a jar (I did help a little... actually very little) This is so good I think I will have to make up a batch myself.

Next on the agenda is pickles, unfortunately my cucumbers did not do well at all this year (hoping I can get some by the fall, we shall see) but we have farms in the area where you can pick your own.
Young musician has been  a great motivator, time to get those canning jars out.




5 comments:

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Yummy, peach preserves! I have to confess that I've never canned anything. Not that I've ever had that much produce from any garden I've ever had. Glad your son left you a jar. ;-)

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

I didn't get to do any canning this summer with the move and the recorded breaking heat wave...this looks great! Enjoy the fruit of your labor.

Farm Girl said...

Since I have peaches coming out my ears, that looks like a wonderful recipe. I have been wanting to try tea in a recipe like that.

Yes, my kids have been making salsa.
My daughter came over the day before this picture to make it then my son wanted to make it and I was afraid I hadn't planted enough tomato vines.
That is a first. :)
Have a lovely day

Trisha said...

I love very good days, Maryann! :) What a great job your son did on the preserves, too. What a blessing it is when our children inspire us to just do something. :) Love and hugs and prayers....

Petra said...

We had peach trees in TN and I did some canning. This recipe looks delicious. I wouldn't waste a drop either. Blessings!