header

header

Friday, May 20, 2011

More Changes


Last week my husband and I had to travel out of state to get his sister. This sweet lady had been living independently with the help of family and friends for thirty plus years. Her independence was quite an accomplishment and something she was very proud of.  She has told me many times over the last several days "I did it on my own"...yes "sweet lady" you did...but things have changed, she is no longer able to live independently.

We always knew she would have to move closer to us someday. Someone would have to help care for her, we were the only family besides elderly parents. 

I like my ducks in a row I'm a planner...you know the control thing I have going on. My preference was that everything would have been taken care of with "sweet lady" so that when the time came, her care would seamlessly transfer to us...God had a different plan...I don't understand it...but I will trust him.

So that's our life right now. On a positive note, my endurance has improved, seems like I got my stamina back just when I needed it. I have been able to do things, I would not have been able to accomplish just a few weeks ago. And I am at peace with what has transpired over the last several days...it has been hard, but it's OK. God bringing us to the end of ourselves...we can do nothing but trust in him day by day...sometimes moment by moment.

Praying God will keep my heart soft, compassionate. We still have much to do, we are not quite settled yet...decisions still need to be made. Sweet Lady is happy, we pray that this will be an easy transition for her...trusting God.

"Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before him; God is a refuge for us"  Psalm 62:8

1 comment:

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

Such a hard time -- for YOU and for "Sweet Lady," too. The stress of changing roles on both sides can be so so difficult. You hit the nail on the head --- a soft and compassionate heart will get you through what seems impossible. Since I've been down this path, I feel that tug in my heart, and I will be praying for you. Thank you for sharing!