header

header

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Making God's Word a Priority


This new season I am in has required a little bit of adjustment, creativity when it comes to making time for devotions. If there is any time that you need to be drinking deeply of God's Word it's when you are in the midst of crisis and/or change. Ironically that happens to be the time when it's the hardest to find the time to sit down and get into God's Word, at least that has been my experience.

I had a schedule, a routine, I work part time, starting hours are pretty flexible, didn't have to be to work till 8:30,so could sit down in the morning meet with God before I started my day, and I was able listen to my IPod at work...easy to get fed.

I now start my days off running and what was getting left behind my time in the Word. Just like your body needs fuel to run smoothly, so does your your spirit...it's food, is the Word of God.

Tried getting up earlier, that didn't work, tried staying upstairs in my bedroom for quiet time before I started my day, also did not work. Then I remembered that when I was sick, my friend would read scripture to me. That was my jumping off point, remembered we have technology available to us...my husband recently purchased an IPad...it can talk to you.

We have a bible application on our IPad..."sweet lady" and I now get our coffee, turn the IPad on, and  listen to the Word of God, I can also read along. Then if we want more, I have multiple pod casts with great preachers on my computer. Is it perfect no...but it's a start, and it is helping me to get refreshed again.

"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path"  Psalm 119:105

"But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers"  Psalm 1:2-3

1 comment:

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

My quiet time varies too. Sometimes I am very consistent for a long period of time and other times days go by. Lately I have been reading Spurgeon on-line as it is delivered to my in box each morning. I have to be diligent to open it first before heading to my blog or comments!