header

header

Friday, April 1, 2011

Matters of the Heart


Difficult people, they come with many names, coworker, neighbor, client, family member, boss....the list is endless. You know the people I am talking about, they can be rude, opinionated, manipulative, stubborn, inconsiderate, self absorbed...you get the idea.

Yes, we know these people, the question is how do we respond to them, in particular, what is our reaction when we find out that they may be having problems... do we immediately pray, seek them out or do we respond with ambivilence or callous indifference. Remember these are people that intentionally hurt you, or slight you, don't really care about your welfare, go out of their way to make your life difficult.

Wish this was a hypothetical question but I found myself in this position and my response was not exactly "Christ like", mercy, compassion...pretty much lacking. The good news is I didn't "stay there" long. It was a process, needed help from a friend to see things clearly (thank you friend) The spirit convicting me...how could I not extend mercy...wasn't mercy extended to me? Didn't I have a debt I could not pay? Compassion given me? My response to a difficult person revealed my heart I knew the changes that needed to be made.

"Search me O God and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way of everlasting"  Psalm 139:23-24

"But I tell you who hear me. Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone strikes you on the cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. Give to everyone who asks you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you. If you love those who love you what credit is it to you? Even sinners love those who love them" Luke 6: 27-32

1 comment:

Trisha said...

Maryann,
It is so hard to respond in love to difficult people God puts in our lives. How wonderful you had a friend to encourage you in the Word and to choose to glorify Him. I, too, and thankful for the mercy He shows me every day, especially when I fail to show mercy to others.